In this month’s newsletter:
- Video: Shoulder Tension and Pain Solution!
- Article: Chiropractic Care for the Pregnant Body
- Doula Tiffany Jensen: The Babymoon Retreat
- Article: Zinc, Omega-3, Vitamin D & Magnesium for Virus Prevention and Treatment
- Recipe: Instant Pot Jambalaya Soup
Shoulder Tension and Pain Solution!
Watch this two minute video to see how being more aware of your shoulder position can help you be more comfortable and efficient!
Article: Chiropractic Care for the Pregnant Body
This article provides an evidence-based review of the epidemiology of chiropractic use in obstetrics, commonly treated conditions, related physiology of pregnancy, and safety of spinal manipulation.
Key points from this article:
- Low back pain, pelvic pain, and other neuromuscular complaints are prevalent in pregnancy and contribute to significant maternal discomfort in many women.
- “Beginning in the first trimester, the hormone relaxin is produced which causes relaxation of the ligaments.”
- “Non-pharmacologic therapies to relieve pain are increasingly important during pregnancy because of the opioid epidemic.”
- “Chiropractic care is a commonly used treatment modality for musculoskeletal pain in pregnancy.”
- Chiropractic care amongst the general US population is extremely common and increased dramatically from 5% in 2008 to 24% in 2012.
- “The importance of and need for alternative treatments of musculoskeletal pain are highlighted during the current epidemic of opioid use disorders.”
- “Multiple national physician organizations endorse the use of non-pharmacologic treatment including chiropractic for conditions such as low back pain, including American College of Physicians, American Academy of Family Physicians, and North American Spine Society.”
- “Many of the most common pharmacologic therapies utilized for migraines are contraindicated in pregnancy.”
- “Spinal manipulative therapy by trained professionals has demonstrated high levels of safety in general, with the incidence of serious injury of 1 in every 1 to 1.5 million adjustments (0.00007% to 0.0001%).
- Adjunctive therapies to chiropractic spinal manipulation can include topical ice and heat, massage, myofascial release, stretching, and acupuncture.
- “Patients and providers can rely on existing data which supports the safety of spinal manipulative therapy in pregnancy and provides a viable treatment option for musculoskeletal pain in pregnancy.”
Doula Tiffany Jensen’s Babymoon Retreat
Are you expecting? Check out the details of a local event March 11th-13th:
Arrive in the evening for dinner, getting to know one another, and an introduction to the retreat weekend. Wrap up the evening with a movie night showing an entertaining, light-hearted and educational birth documentary.
Start the morning with yoga and breakfast. We will then move into the course content. After a leisurely lunch, we will learn and practice comfort measures for labor. You’ll have ample time for exploration of the area and for add-on activities as they become available. Dinner is included and we will have plenty of time to connect as a group informally for games, movies, relaxation, and connection.
Start the morning once again with a relaxing yoga session and breakfast. We will transition to learning together about labor and birth interventions. After another relaxing lunch and free time, we will spend time creating our birth visions and learning about postpartum recovery-physical and emotional. We will wrap up by 3pm giving you the opportunity to finish your weekend and feel a great sense of confidence in your birth!
Interested? Register here.
Article: Zinc, Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Vitamin D and Magnesium for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases, Lung Diseases and Cancer
Key points from this article:
- “Despite the development of a number of vaccines for COVID-19, there remains a need for prevention and treatment of the virus SARS-CoV-2 and the ensuing disease COVID-19.”
- The key elements of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 that can readily treated are:
- Viral entry
- The immune system
- The cytokine storm
- “The essential nutrients zinc, omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), vitamin D and magnesium provide the ideal combination for prevention and treatment of COVID-19.”
- “Annual checking of levels of these essential nutrients is recommended for those over 65 years of age.”
- The essential sufficiency of zinc, omega-3 PUFAs and vitamin D for prevention and treatment of cancers is understood.
- “The four principle non-communicable diseases that are most prevalent world-wide are diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, lung diseases and cancer.”
- The most outstanding common features of COVID-19 and non-communicable diseases are inflammation and over activity of the immune system.
- “Zinc, omega-3 PUFAs, vitamin D and magnesium all act to suppress hyper-inflammation and major disruptions of the immune system that occur when there is a significant invasion by viral or bacterial pathogens such as SARS-CoV-2 or non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease or chronic pulmonary disease.”
- “Supplementation of the four nutrients in treatment of COVID-19 is therefore desirable, especially if this supplementation is beneficial in preventing or treating non-communicable diseases or reducing the adverse effects of ageing.”
Recipe of the Month: Instant Pot Jambalaya Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
An easy and flavorful winter soup recipe.