In this month’s newsletter:
- Video: How is Your Energy Flowing?
- Chiropractic Office Closed Dates for October
- Lighthouse Youth Services Gift Drive
- Upcoming Duke Energy Project on Madison Road
- Research: Vitamin D and Low Back Pain
- Recipe: 10 Paleo Friendly Halloween Treats
Video: How is Your Energy Flowing?
I like to ask myself questions to check in on my health. Here is a question for you:
How is your energy flowing?
Chiropractic Office Closed Dates for October
On Friday 10/13 the office will be open from 8:30 am -12:30 pm only.
On Monday 10/16 the office will be closed.
Lighthouse Youth Services Gift Drive
As we have done for a number of years, we will collect items for the Lighthouse Youth Services at Thrive again this year.
If you would like to contribute, please bring any of these items to the office and we will drop them off at Lighthouse.
Thank you for considering supporting this organization. Here is what they most need:
- Jeans/Pants (Any and all sizes and styles are welcomed)
- Personal Care Basket (these are hygiene items such as body wash, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, etc. a theme works best i.e., baby hygiene theme, axe theme, ethnic hair care products, etc.)
- Baby Care Basket (Any mix of items such as diapers, wipes, clothes, toys, etc.)
- Home Cleaning Basket (For youth in apartments. Items such as Clorox wipes, detergent, dish soap, etc.)
- Toys (Legos, Puzzles, Developmental Toys, and Fidget Toys)
- $50 gift cards (Target, Amazon, Kroger, Meijer, Wal-Mart)
Want to know more about Lighthouse and how they help youth in the community? Here is a summary:
Lighthouse offers an integrated system of care for ages 0-24 designed to guide and track their progress over time. This includes mental health services, including same-day assessments, as well as youth housing, emergency shelter, community juvenile justice services, residential treatment, early intervention, and foster care and adoption. A national leader in developing services for youth and families, Lighthouse opened the first group home for girls in Ohio and has operated the first and only sanctuary for youth ages 10-17 in the Cincinnati area since 1974. Lighthouse is also a pioneer in the effort to end youth homelessness and is the lead agency in the KEYS to a Future Without Youth Homelessness initiative in Hamilton County.
Upcoming Duke Energy Project Near Our Office
Duke Energy will be starting a project on Madison Road beginning in October. They will start at the library and move toward Oakley Square and eventually to Gill’s Carwash, working 100 feet at a time in each segment. One lane of traffic will be closed most days. This project will last until summer 2024. Our free parking lot will still be accessible throughout, but plan on some traffic issues periodically.
For more information on the project check Duke’s website here.
Research: Vitamin D Deficiency and Low Back Pain?!
It is old news by now that Vitamin D is essenital for immune system support and for helathy bones. The more researchers look at Vitamin D, the more we find it critical for other areas of health too- like lessening risk of lower back pain!
Remember that sunlight is our preferred, best source for Vitamin D. Supplementation (see picture above for what we sell at the office) is necessary if your levels are below 60 ng/mL to optimize.
Key points from this article:
- The use of vitamin D supplementation for LBP has gained interest due to its proposed anti-inflammatory and neuro-modulatory properties.
- Vitamin D Level: Deficiency: of <20 ng/mL Risk of LBP = 60 % Increased Risk
- Vitamin D Level: Severe Deficiency: <10 ng/mL Risk of LBP = 108% Increased Risk
- There was a significant association between decreased mean vitamin D levels and severe LBP.
- It is well established that vitamin D can facilitate the uptake of calcium and lead to bone mineralization, which is particularly important for women where age and hormonal-related bone density loss can increase the risk of osteoporosis, potentially resulting in pain.
Read more about vitamin D deficiency and pain severity in another research article.
Recipe of the Month: Paleo Halloween Treats
Image Source: https://paleoleap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/halloween-treats.jpg
Check out these healthier Halloween treats!