Research Revealing the Power of Adjustments
We are learning more and more about the positive changes that happen in the body when we perform chiropractic adjustments. Some very cool findings come from Ogura's 2011 study, "Cerebral Metabolic Changes in Men after Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation for Neck Pain".
- Spinal dysfunction affects the autonomic nervous system. This is the system in our body that controls and regulates our organs and glands.
- A PET scan was used to evaluate various parts of the brain before and after chiropractic adjustments.
- The major impact of adjustments across multiple brain centers is called 'INHIBITION of sympathetic tone'. This means that achieving better spinal alignment and motion DECREASES the negative consequences of STRESS (unresolved sympathetic tone) in the brain and body!
- Cervical muscle tone improved.
- Pain levels improved.
- Significantly lower stress and improved quality of life questionnaires
- Salivary amylase decreased. This enzyme in our saliva decreases when we are experiencing less stress.
- Inferior prefrontal cortex, middle temporal gyrus, and anterior cingulate cortex all showed increased glucose usage post adjustment on the PET scan.
- Cerebellar vermis showed less glucose usage, meaning more efficient spinal sensory function.
Check out our New Poster at the Office...
I introduce a cool new poster we have at the office in this 1 minute video above. I really like the poster it maps the areas of the nerves and brain that change with an adjustment. Our physiology improves when we are well adjusted!
How to Prevent Kidney Stones
Did you see the recent news about the man in China who had 420 kidney stones surgically removed? Wow!
My friend and neighbor while in chiropractic school was Dr. David Jockers. He is now practicing in Georgia. Check out his great article on natural ways to prevent and get rid of kidney stones.
Some of you have used one of the Standard Process supplement protocols to help get rid of gallstones and kidney stones as well. Ask if you have any questions.
Essential Oils as a Natural Bug Repellant
Commercial bug repellants are effective but contain harsher chemicals to do the same job that essential oils can do.
We are expecting to be restocked later this week at the office of two essential oil blends that will help keep the bugs away. The two products are Purification by Young Living and TerraShield by doterra.
Thanks to Margaret Morris for putting together this list of essential oil recipes for the summertime in the outdoors.
Recipe of the Month: Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
When it's too hot to turn on your oven, the slow cooker is tool for helping you get dinner done. This dish uses plenty of delicious summer vegetables without heating up your entire house.
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 head of garlic, peeled (see note)
2 zucchini, sliced
1 summer squash, sliced
2 red onions, sliced thin
2 cups sliced white mushrooms
1/2 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (use more or less to taste)
- Place all vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables
- In a separate bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours on low.
- Serve over cooked quinoa or rice.
Note: Check out this link for an easy way to peel an entire head of garlic